19 Reasons to use Puppy Linux | We Love Puppy’s
Puppy Linux is a unique family of Linux distributions, It was created for home-user(Domestic users). It was originally created by Barry Kauler in 2003.
Why Puppy Linux is so popular – What are its Main Features
- Ready to use → all tools for common daily computing usage already included.
- Ease of use → grandpa-friendly certified
- Relatively small size → 300 MB or less.
- Fast and versatile.
- Customizable within minutes → remasters.
- Different flavors → optimized to support older computers, newer computers.
- Variety → hundreds of derivatives (“puplets”), one of which will surely meet your needs.
- Kernel 5.4.53
- Modular build means you can swap out the kernel, applications & firmware in seconds
- Joe’s Window manager (JWM)
- Rox Filer
- Palemoon Browser
- MPV, Deadbeef and Gogglesmm (good for large music collections) media players
- Claws Email
- Osmo Calendar
- Abiword Word Processor
Puppy Linux have three broad categories:-
Official distributions → maintained by Puppy Linux team, usually targeted for general purpose, and generally built using PL system builder (called Woof-CE).
woof-built PL distributions → developed to suit specific needs and appearances, also targeted for general purpose and built using PL system builder (called Woof-CE) with some additional or modified packages.
unofficial derivatives (“puplets”) → are usually remastered (or remasters of remasters), made and maintained by its enthusiasts, usually targeted for specific purposes.
Release Notes for Fossapup64 9.5
The latest release of Puppy Linux and has binary compatibility with Ubuntu Focal Fossa which is developed by 666philb (aka mrfricks).
Fossapup64 is built from a “Puppy builder” system named Woof-CE (woof-CE at GitHub), which can build a PL distribution from the binary packages of any other distro.
Resistance is futile! | Blog
Woof-CE (woof-Community Edition) is a fork of Barry Kauler’s woof2 fossil
repository of Nov 11, 2013 commit f6332edbc4a75c262a8fec6e7d39229b0acf32cd.
Currently supported: Slackware, Ubuntu, Debian
GitHub – puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE: woof – the Puppy builder
Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)